Hello loyal fans of my blog (if any of you exist)!! Today is a great day because I no longer have my pending oral presentation hanging over my head. Thats right, I enlightened my class about the physical changes of late adulthood, and I did it like a pro. If anyone wants any details of whats to come in life's glorious process of aging just feel free to ask. In other news, I am now trying to recoup after an AMAZING weekend in Paris! It was so so so so wonderful there! I know I say this about every place I visit, but you all NEED to go there someday! Paris is just a very beautiful place, even when its dreary and gray and rainy, I can only imagine how great it is when it's sunny out! We did so many things while there (which was only 1 full day and 2 half days) so here is a little overview:
First we got our stuff settled and took the metro (which is really gross and old and not nearly as reliable and high tech as the London tube; dont worry that is my solitary complaint about Paris) to the Louvre and ate ham omlettes in a little cafe. Then we went to the Louvre because it is free for students on Friday nights. I got to see Mona! Thats Mona Lisa for all of you who aren't on a nickname basis with her like I am now. Some other famous artworks included the Venus di Milo and some other famous things that I can't actually remember the names of.... sorry! I am not the most art savvy person out there, but I try. After that, we went on a trip over to the Moulin Rouge! It was very cool but we couldn't see a show because the show alone is 100 euros! Yikes. So we settled on pictures of the outside, which was almost as cool.
The next day we took a free 4 hour walking tour around town. Our guide was awesome; we saw so many historical sights and learned so much about the monuments and areas. We saw the big things like the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, the Louvre, etc. and other cool things like the exact cafe where the orders were given that began the French Revolution. After this, my friends and I ventured over to the Eiffel Tower and took thousands of pictures and then began climbing the many stairs to the top of the tower. It was a tough climb, but after all the cathedrals and things I have toured around Europe, I am no stranger to climbing huge amounts of stairs. We were there at night which was great for the view, but bad for pictures so I dont have many great pictures of the view. But It was still worth it. And then we got crepes.

The last day was dedicated to the Catacombs. For those of you who aren't sure what these are all about, I will tell you. It is basically a large and winding tunnel 20 meters underground that serves as a mass tomb for the remains of millions of Parisians from the late 18th century. The king at the time ordered that the remains of people who had been burried in a cemetary that the locals thought were spreading diseases (they weren't) be arranged underground in a decorative manner. It may sound really creepy and ghoulish, but that really isn't the intention, so I didnt feel scared or spooked at all. It was very interesting and I'm glad I went but I would have to say that the adjective for the whole experience would just have to be: Weird.
Then, as quickly as it had begun, I was on the train back to good ol' London. I will be keeping busy in the next few weeks with two papers and studying for exams and such but I'm never too busy for an update from home! Yes, reader, I am talking to YOU! Shoot me an e-mail, it would delight me and probably be a welcome distraction from my tireless hours of school work (dramatization, sorry). Have a great week, Cheers!
First we got our stuff settled and took the metro (which is really gross and old and not nearly as reliable and high tech as the London tube; dont worry that is my solitary complaint about Paris) to the Louvre and ate ham omlettes in a little cafe. Then we went to the Louvre because it is free for students on Friday nights. I got to see Mona! Thats Mona Lisa for all of you who aren't on a nickname basis with her like I am now. Some other famous artworks included the Venus di Milo and some other famous things that I can't actually remember the names of.... sorry! I am not the most art savvy person out there, but I try. After that, we went on a trip over to the Moulin Rouge! It was very cool but we couldn't see a show because the show alone is 100 euros! Yikes. So we settled on pictures of the outside, which was almost as cool.
The next day we took a free 4 hour walking tour around town. Our guide was awesome; we saw so many historical sights and learned so much about the monuments and areas. We saw the big things like the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, the Louvre, etc. and other cool things like the exact cafe where the orders were given that began the French Revolution. After this, my friends and I ventured over to the Eiffel Tower and took thousands of pictures and then began climbing the many stairs to the top of the tower. It was a tough climb, but after all the cathedrals and things I have toured around Europe, I am no stranger to climbing huge amounts of stairs. We were there at night which was great for the view, but bad for pictures so I dont have many great pictures of the view. But It was still worth it. And then we got crepes.
The last day was dedicated to the Catacombs. For those of you who aren't sure what these are all about, I will tell you. It is basically a large and winding tunnel 20 meters underground that serves as a mass tomb for the remains of millions of Parisians from the late 18th century. The king at the time ordered that the remains of people who had been burried in a cemetary that the locals thought were spreading diseases (they weren't) be arranged underground in a decorative manner. It may sound really creepy and ghoulish, but that really isn't the intention, so I didnt feel scared or spooked at all. It was very interesting and I'm glad I went but I would have to say that the adjective for the whole experience would just have to be: Weird.
Then, as quickly as it had begun, I was on the train back to good ol' London. I will be keeping busy in the next few weeks with two papers and studying for exams and such but I'm never too busy for an update from home! Yes, reader, I am talking to YOU! Shoot me an e-mail, it would delight me and probably be a welcome distraction from my tireless hours of school work (dramatization, sorry). Have a great week, Cheers!
2 comments:
Sounds like you had a great time and I'm so glad you made it to Paris! Can't wait to see all of your pictures and the painting that the old man gave you!
Love, Mom
i'm one of your loyal followers....looove your update on paris, wish i could've gone with you! someday lele...someday :)
Post a Comment