Sunday, September 7, 2008

Road Trip!

Hello! My second weekend here has been pretty eventful. Well up until now I guess since I'm just relaxing and posting blogs and pictures. Yesterday we went on a road trip to Bath, England which is about 2.5 hours away. We saw the ancient Roman Baths and went through the museum. The bath just looked like a huge swimming pool with stairs going into it. It is basically a big hot tub but the water looks so mucky and nasty that I felt incredibly brave to dip the tip of one of my fingers into it. I heard that the only person since ancient Romans to jump into it was an American tourist.......figures. But he probably caught hepatitus or something so I guess thats punishment enough for being so stupid! After our tour of the baths, we wandered around the town and did a little shopping and sightseeing. The Bath Abbey was beautiful; not as big as Westminster of course, but it was big and had ten bells which kept going off throughout the afternoon. As with most of England, the buildings here were all old and the architecture was so cool. If I can figure out how, I will try to post some pictures on this site. The only downside to the afternoon was that it was pretty rainy. But hey, what should I expect? I was pretty much asking for it by coming to England.

After we got back from Bath, my friends and I decided to go out for some Chinese in Whitechapel. We were looking for a specific place called Ten Bells but we couldn't find it and none of the locals had heard of it... so we settled on another place nearby. Let me just start by giving you a picture of the area of Whitechapel that we were in: First, this is the original site of the Jack the Ripper murders. If you have ever been to North Minneapolis at night, you might have an idea of what this area was like. It was a little run down, or "up and coming" as we decided to label it. And to make matters more interesting, after our Chinese dinner, we passed a hobo peeing on a building. Needless to say, we may not go back to Whitechapel for a while. But it was an adventure to say the least!

This week I will be starting my Cognitive Psychology class so that should be good. I'm beginning to feel a little more settled here and I am eager to get past the "intro" stage of my classes and get into the actual material. Wish me luck keeping all of my Psychology courses straight! I'm sure they will be good though. Well, I'm off to start my new book: The Rossetti Letter (I finished The Other Boleyn Girl- so good! everyone should read it). Have a good day!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Lelu,
You left out the part about the hobo when we talked! This certainly proves that you are seeing some "interesting" sights - some more than others! Good idea not to go back there - especially at night!
Love reading your posts!
-Mom