Monday, September 15, 2008

Thames Festival

Hello! Today I only have one class, at 1:30, so I decided to take it easy by sipping some tea and writing a blog this morning. This weekend, my roommate and some of my friends went to Ireland for a bus tour (I didn't go because I have friends that are studying there and I plan on going later, maybe November, to visit them. Plus I didnt want to miss the day trip with school to Leeds and Canterbury which I'll tell you ALL about in a second).

One of my other good friends here didn't go either, so we spent the weekend together doing tons of fun things. Friday we went shopping on Oxford Street. There is a store there called Primark that has pretty much everything you need and has REALLY good prices. I bought a shirt, a dress, and a huge purse for 20 pounds. But I might return the purse.... Im not sure yet. This store is kind of like a mixture between H&M, JC Penny and Petter's Warehouse (Uncle Petie and Mom: It would be like dying and going to heaven for you) On Saturday we went to Leeds Castle and Canterbury. It was about 2.5 hours away again but we had a huge detour because our bus got hit by a car and lost a mirror, so our time there was cut a little short but it was fine because we still had a great time. I swear I'm going to figure out the photo posting situation soon so that I will be able to show you what it looked like. The castle was gorgeous and so was the surrounding area. And it was a PERFECT day on saturday. We also drove out to Canterbury which was about 30 minutes from Leeds. It was a nice little town which lots of shops and old houses and stuff. There was also a very pretty Cathedral where Henry IV and his wife are buried.

Yesterday Erin and I walked up to the Camden Market (a HUGE open air market on the north end of Regent's Park- its huge and you can find some really good deals). Its about a half hour or forty minute walk but yesterday was another perfect day, not a single cloud in the sky. We spent a pretty long time there getting lots of great stuff; I got a dress and a soccer/football jersey. After we got back, we went on a huge adventure around the city trying to find the Thames Festival parade that was supposed to be happening but we didnt find it (sadly, you would think that a parade is a hard thing to miss but I guess we just struck out) but we did find the other fun stuff in the festival, like a big concert and a street running performance (for those out of the loop, street running is basically a fancy urban-gymnastics thing where people climb around buildings and do flips and jump on railings and stuff). All in all it was a fun weekend..... Cheerio!

1 comment:

Mom said...

You are so right - I probably would love Primark! Feel free to pick something up for me and Uncle Pete! Sounds like you have a great weekend and I'm sure you're so excited to see Laursie next weekend. Give her a big hug from me!

Love you,
Mom